Welcome to Wicstun
The mediaeval town now known as
Market Weighton - The Heart of East Yorkshire
750 Years a Market Town, 1251 - 2001
Goodmanham - in the East Riding of Yorkshire
Goodmanham (Godmundin Gaham in AD 731) is
a small village about 2 miles to the north-east of Market Weighton, and
dates back to Stone Age times.
The ancient name Godmundingaham is derived from the Celtic 'Godo', an uncovered sanctuary or temple, and 'mynyddis', meaning a hilly place.
Christianity came to the area in 627 AD,
following the conversion of Edwin, King of Northumbria, to the
Christian faith. This followed the preachings at the nearby
palace at Londesborough by Paulinus (the chaplain to Princess
Ethelburga of Kent, a Christian whom Edwin married), who became
the first Archbishop of York.
Having been converted to Christianity, Edwin subsequently destroyed the heathen temple at Goodmanham. The sacking of the temple is recorded in a stained glass window in All Hallows church in the village.
Edwin was baptised in York on Easter Day, 12 April AD 627, and the church that was built on the site of the baptism was eventually to be replaced by York Minster as it is known today.
All Hallows church, standing on an elevated position at the north-eastern end of Goodmanham reflects as much history as does the village itself.........
The Church, much of which is Norman in style, is characterised by its stubby tower and walls some three feet thick. It dates back to AD 1130 with numerous changes and additions taking place up to the 16th century, and is said to be built on the site of the original pagan temple.
Last revision : 27 November, 2010